Other Books in Series
This is book number 2 in the Saxon Tales series.
- #1: The Last Kingdom (Saxon Tales #1) (Paperback): $16.99
- #3: Lords of the North: A Novel (Saxon Tales #3) (Paperback): $16.99
- #4: Sword Song: The Battle for London (Saxon Tales #4) (Paperback): $16.99
- #5: The Burning Land: A Novel (Saxon Tales #5) (Paperback): $16.99
- #6: Death of Kings: A Novel (Saxon Tales #6) (Paperback): $16.99
- #7: The Pagan Lord: A Novel (Saxon Tales #7) (Paperback): $16.99
- #8: The Empty Throne: A Novel (Saxon Tales #8) (Paperback): $16.99
- #9: Warriors of the Storm: A Novel (Saxon Tales #9) (Paperback): $16.99
- #10: The Flame Bearer (Saxon Tales) (Paperback): $16.99
- #11: War of the Wolf: A Novel (Saxon Tales #11) (Large Print / Paperback): $28.99
- #12: Sword of Kings: A Novel (Saxon Tales #12) (Large Print / Paperback): $29.99
The second installment of Bernard Cornwell’s New York Times bestselling series chronicling the epic saga of the making of England, “like Game of Thrones, but real” (The Observer, London)—the basis for The Last Kingdom, the hit television series.
As the last unvanquished piece of England, Wessex is eyed hungrily by the fearsome Viking conquerors. Uhtred, a dispossessed young nobleman, is tied to the imperiled land by birth and marriage but was raised by the Danish invaders—and he questions where his allegiance must lie. But blood is his destiny, and when the overwhelming Viking horde attacks out of a wintry darkness, Uhtred must put aside all hatred and distrust and stand beside his embattled country’s staunch defender—the fugitive King Alfred.
The Pale Horseman is a gripping, monumental adventure that gives breathtaking life to one of the most important epochs in English history—yet another masterwork from New York Times bestselling author Bernard Cornwell.
About the Author
BERNARD CORNWELL is the author of the acclaimed New York Times bestselling Saxon Tales series, which includes The Last Kingdom, The Pale Horseman, Lords of the North, Sword Song, The Burning Land, Death of Kings, The Pagan Lord, and, most recently, The Empty Throne and Warriors of the Storm, and which serves as the basis for the hit television series The Last Kingdom. He lives with his wife on Cape Cod and in Charleston, South Carolina.
“Bernard Cornwell does the best battle scenes of any writer I’ve ever read, past or present.”
— George R.R. Martin
“Superior entertainment that is both engaging and enlightening....Historical adventures as smart and vigorous as Cornwell’s are in short supply.”
— Washington Post
“A big-bellied, bushy-bearded tale of 9th century England. Our hero is Uhtred, a good-hearted lout with a pleasantly sour disposition; he’s like a 9th century Han Solo....He endows the book with an unexpectedly complex, thoughtful soul.”
“A suavely rendered tale … [brings] turbulent times to vivid life.”
— Philadelphia Inquirer
— Arizona Republic
“A crackerjack adventure tale from a master of the craft.”
“Filled with bawdy humor, bloodlust, treachery and valor, this stirring tale will leave readers eager for the next volume .”
— Publishers Weekly
“Great stuff, as always, from the master.”
— Kirkus Reviews