Other Books in Series
- #1: The Last Kingdom (Saxon Tales #1) (Paperback): Email or call for price.
- #2: The Pale Horseman: A Novel (Saxon Tales #2) (Paperback): $16.99
- #3: Lords of the North: A Novel (Saxon Tales #3) (Paperback): $16.99
- #4: Sword Song: The Battle for London (Saxon Tales #4) (Paperback): $16.99
- #5: The Burning Land: A Novel (Saxon Tales #5) (Paperback): $16.99
- #6: Death of Kings: A Novel (Saxon Tales #6) (Paperback): Email or call for price.
- #7: The Pagan Lord Low Price CD: A Novel (Saxon Tales #7) (CD-Audio): $19.99
- #8: The Empty Throne: A Novel (Saxon Tales #8) (Hardcover): Email or call for price.
- #9: Warriors of the Storm: A Novel (Saxon Tales #9) (Paperback): $16.99
- #10: The Flame Bearer (Saxon Tales) (Large Print / Paperback): $27.99
- #11: War of the Wolf: A Novel (Saxon Tales #11) (Paperback): $16.99
- #12: Sword of Kings: A Novel (Saxon Tales #12) (Hardcover): $27.99
- #13: War Lord: A Novel (Saxon Tales #13) (Hardcover): $28.99
The third installment of Bernard Cornwell’s bestselling series chronicling the epic saga of the making of England, “like Game of Thrones, but real” (The Observer, London)—the basis for The Last Kingdom, the hit BBC America television series.
After achieving victory at King Alfred’s side, Uhtred of Bebbanburg is returning to his home in the North, finally free of his allegiance to the King—or so he believes. An encounter with a vicious slave trader introduces Uhtred to Guthred, the self-proclaimed King of Northumbria. Curious about Guthred’s astounding claim, Uhtred follows him north. But he soon discovers fate has another incredible surprise in store, and begins an unexpected journey that climaxes in the midnight siege of a city thought impregnable—a dangerous seige that results in the forging of England.
Lords of the North is Bernard Cornwell’s finest work yet—a breathtaking adventure, but it also tells the story of the creation of English identity, as the English and Danes begin to become one people, appropriating each other’s languages and, thrillingly, fighting side-by-side.
About the Author
BERNARD CORNWELL is the author of the acclaimed New York Times bestselling Saxon Tales series, which includes The Last Kingdom, The Pale Horseman, Lords of the North, Sword Song, The Burning Land, Death of Kings, The Pagan Lord, and, most recently, The Empty Throne and Warriors of the Storm, and which serves as the basis for the hit television series The Last Kingdom. He lives with his wife on Cape Cod and in Charleston, South Carolina.
— Entertainment Weekly
“Splendid...Cornwell...breathes life into ancient history with disarming ease, peppering it with humor and even innocence.”
— Publishers Weekly
“So soaked with blood and testosterone that it reads like a sword-and-sorcery fantasy, parlaying flamboyant violence and never-ending conflict into simple, unruly fun....There are bawdy insults and simmering feuds, betrayals and a woman worthy of Uhtred’s love. And a fine promise from Cornwell: Uhtred’s wars are not over.”
— Arizona Republic
“Uhtred’s adventures are thrilling to read. It is not necessary to have read the previous books in the series, as each is self-sustaining. The creation of the world of the ninth century by Cornwell is extraordinary. His attention to detail is wonderful. There is not a moment of this book that anyone who loves to read about personal armed combat and conquest will find boring.”
— Roanoke Times
“Excellent sport... from the expert.”
— Kirkus, starred review
“Rousing...Of course, all plotlines lead to combat, and Cornwell does not disappoint as Uhtred and his beloved Danish foster brother Ragnar engage their sworn enemy, Kjartan the Cruel, in one final, horrible battle.”
“For readers who find contentment in reading historical novels featuring clanking swords and battlefield carnage, Bernard Cornwell should be at the very top of your list...The Saxon Chronicles is very possibly his best...Wildy exciting...Cornwell keeps the pace crackling.”
— USA Today